Subscribe News Feed Subscribe Comments

500 days of summer


Indeed, this movie is unlike any other love stories 'coz in the first place, it is NOT a love story. It chronicles instead the harsh realities of one-sided love or more commonly and painfully called "unrequitted love," the most ruthless among all kinds of love.
"The boy fell in love, the girl didn't" storyline may be something something new in the reel world but not in the real world. There has been people who have had their share of Tom's love-turned-sob story. At one point, they have loved or will love a person who could never reciprocate the love that they have given or will give. That despite their efforts of making them happy and doing everything to make them stay, the love of their life can't just feel the same about them.
I especially love the confrontation part towards the end. When Tom and Summer met again and the former asked the girl WHY she said that she didn't want to be in a relationship with anyone but is now married. Then, Summer responded with the most heartbreaking answer that I've ever heard...
" I knew with him what I wasn't sure of with you..."
Boohoo.
That simple line has really been seared to my memory. I really felt bad not just for the Tom in the movie, but to all TOMs in the world. Love could really be a blessing to some but it could also be a curse to people who love people that can't love them back. I just hope, that just like Tom in the movie, these TOMs would learn to move on and find their Autumn. ^^
***
Tom:This is lies. We are liars. Think about it. Why do people buy cards? It's not because they want to say how they feel. People buy cards because they can't say they feel or are afraid to. And we provide the service that let's them off the hook. You know what? I say to hell with it. Let's level with America. Or at least let them speak for themselves. Right?
"Most days of the year are unremarkable. They begin, and they end, with no lasting memories made in between. Most days have no impact on the course of a life." (Narration)
Summer: Well, you know, I guess it's 'cause I was sitting in a deli and reading Dorian Gray and a guy comes up to me and asks me about it and... now he's my husband.
Tom: Yeah. And... so?
Summer: So, what if I'd gone to the movies? What if I had gone somewhere else for lunch? What if I'd gotten there 10 minutes later? It was - it was meant to be. And... I just kept thinking... Tom was right.
Tom: No.
Summer: Yeah, I did... I did. It just wasn't me that you were right about. =[
***

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Spontaneous Rhapsodies | TNB